The Last of Us Part 1 safe code combinations are usually present on artifacts close to the safes they relate to, either in the same building or at least in the same area, so you’ll never have to remember the safe codes you discover for more than a couple of minutes – assuming you know the safe’s location. There’s a total of four safes across the Remake, and each one has its own code and unique rewards, so we’ll lay out how to find them all and their combinations in The Last of Us Part 1 Remake below, as well as what’s inside each one, so you can decide if it’s worth the effort.
All Safe Codes in The Last of Us Part 1 Locations
There’s four safes in The Last of Us Remake, located in the following areas:
- The Outskirts safe (Code: 03 – 43 – 78), in the underground subway shopping area where you have to sneak past the Clickers.
- The safe in Bill’s Town (Code: 05 – 17 – 21), on the main road with the barricade at the bottom.
- The Pittsburgh safe (Code: 22 – 10 – 56), in the flooded lobby of the Hotel Grand.
- The Suburbs safe (Code: 08 – 21 – 36), in the house next to the Ice Cream Truck.
The safe codes for each area have an Artifact Collectible nearby with the code written on it, as well as some other data around The Last of Us Part 1 lore and characters, depending. Once you have the collectible, the code has to be remembered and input into the safe manually (the game won’t remind you).
Fortunately, we’ve listed the locations of all the safes and safe codes in The Last of Us Remake below, as well as what you can expect to find in them. Of course, if you’re out hunting for things to find anyway, why not check out our page on where to find all The Last of Us weapons, including special gear and equipment?
Outskirts subway safe and code location
After fighting clickers and infected in the slanted skyscraper, Joel, Tess and Ellie will drop down through broken debris to a ruined subway, eventually sneaking into a square, underground area with shops on both sides and clickers stalking about. The safe and the code are both in here – make sure to grab them before you go, otherwise you’ll miss your chance. This safe contains a large quantity of Parts, vital for The Last of Us weapon upgrades.
- Safe Code rental: The safe code is on the left-hand side of the area. Head to that wall and go into the store, then behind the counter with the cash register. The “Note to Derek” collectible is in a drawer.
- Coded: The combination to the Outskirts Safe is 03 – 43 – 78
- Safe Location: The safe itself is in the store on the opposite side – the right-hand wall – with a sleeping infected to the right of it. Kill the infected, then input the code.
- Contents/Rewards: 50 Units
Bill’s Town safe and code location
The safe and code on the high street in Bill’s Town aren’t too visually obvious – one’s strung up on barbed wire, the other is located halfway down the street next to an abandoned pickup. You’ll reach this area not long after starting the level, entering after Joel hoists Ellie up over the fence to open the gate for him. Bill’s Town also contains the first of the game’s many sets of Tools in the Last of Us Part 1, so it’s worth checking our page so you know
- Safe Code rental: Immediately after going through the gate, head left and go directly down the High Street downhill, past the RV, to the barricade blocking the road with the deckchair on top. Caught on the barbed wire in front of that is the “Note to Bob” collectible – which will have the combination on.
- Coded: The combination to the Bill’s Town Safe is 05 – 17 – 21.
- Safe Location: The safe itself is back up the highstreet. Walk back along, and on the left hand side will be a pickup truck with the safe on the road next to it.
- Contents/Rewards: 50 Parts, 5 of The Last of Us supplements, Hunting Rifle ammo
Pittsburgh hotel safe and code location
This one is one of the trickier ones – the safe is relatively easy to find, but the code is in a dead end that doesn’t even look like somewhere you’d think you can go. You’ll reach the Hotel in Pittsburgh after finding a wooden palette for Ellie to float on so you can push her over the water. This safe contains one of The Last of Us Part 1 Training Manuals, so it’s definitely worth opening.
- Safe Code rental: Pick up the ladder on the left hand side of the lobby and carry it to the back wall, to the left of the ruined staircase. This is what you need to do to proceed anyway – but here it diverges. Once you climb up, turn right and shimmy with your back to the wall along the thin lip of broken floor (shown above), around the staircase wreckage. Once you’re on the other side, the code is in an open suitcase ahead of you, on the collectible “Note to Staff.”
- Coded: The combination to the Hotel Safe is 22 – 10 – 56.
- Safe Location: The safe is back down the ladder where you started. Head to the right side of the room to the reception desk, go behind them and follow them left to the small coat-check room – the safe is back there against the wall.
- Contents/Rewards: Shiv: Reinforcement Training Manual, 50 Parts, Revolver Ammo, crafting Explosive material
suburbs house safe
The last safe in the game comes after escaping the sewers with Henry and Sam, when you start walking through the suburbs while looking for their safehouse (if you hit a section with a sniper, you’ve gone too far and will have to reload) .
- Safe Code rental: Both the code and the safe are in the house just past the blue ice cream truck, on the left. For the code, go inside and head as far up as you can to the attic den. The Matchbook collectible is on a countertop just to your left as you enter, and has the code on it.
- Coded: The combination to the Suburbs Safe is 08 – 21 – 36.
- Safe Location: Once you have the Matchbook, head down one floor and into the master bedroom on the left. The safe is clearly visible there, on the right as you enter the room in a closet.
- Contents/Rewards: 10 Supplements, 50 Parts, Shotgun ammo